Sunday, January 17, 2010

Clottey out to shock highly-touted Pacquiao

Joshua Clottey’s choice as Manny Pacquiao’s next ring opponent in place of Floyd Mayweather Jr. may have come as a surprise to most. On March 13, Clottey intends to pull off more surprises and shock the boxing world.

“This is not an easy fight at all. But you know me, I always come to do my job in the ring and make people happy. I can handle southpaws well and I will beat Pacquiao. I’m ready to shock the world," Clottey said in an interview with FanIQ News’ James Slater.

Describing himself as a real, big, natural welterweight, Clottey said he would stalk Pacquiao and use his power shots to break down the Pacman and offset the Filipino superstar’s vaunted speed.

“It’s too early to talk about my tactics but I will follow him; I will come forward in the fight," the Bronx-based Ghanaian said.

“Yes, he will be the fastest guy I’ll have fought but Pacquiao is also durable as well as fast. I’m concerned about his speed of course but everytime I hit him, he will feel it, and maybe this will break him down," he added.

Pacquiao will be staking his WBO welterweight title against Clottey at a full 147-lbs limit.

This, noted the 32-year-old Clottey, will enable him to enter the ring at full strength – something previous opponents Miguel Cotto (at a 145 lb catchweight) and Oscar De La Hoya did not enjoy in their respective gigs with Pacquiao.

“I want to see myself if Pacquiao beat those guys because of the weight they had to come down to. And I also want to see if he beat those guys for real or if he beat them with something. I will show the world the answer to this question," he said, apparently adding a little spark to the fight by mentioning the dope controversy that earlier surrounded the failed negotiations for the Pacquiao-Mayweather gig.

Clottey, though, was quick to distance himself from insinuations that Pacquiao is into performance-enhancing substances.

“No, I don’t think he (Pacquiao) has used steroids, but I can’t say for sure. But if he has, it’s very unfair. I’m going up against him now and I want to see if he can beat a real, big, natural welterweight," he said.

Pacquiao has denied the allegations first brought up by the camp of Mayweather, whom he has taken to court for their statements.

The 31-year-old Pacquiao has tested negative for dope in all his fights and even came clean in the Nevada State Athletic Commission’s random-style urine testing procedure conducted on him and Mayweather before negotiations for their projected 12-round mega-bout fell apart two weeks ago. - GMANews.TV

Source: gmanews.tv

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails